How is the decision made?
- The superintendent checks temperatures at various locations including the local reporting agency.
- The Director of Transportation checks air temperature between 6:15 a.m. and 6:45 a.m.
- A decision is made in consulation with the County Road Department and various individuals around the school district area.
- School may be cancelled when the temperature reaches -20 degrees.
How will we know if school is cancelled?
- When the decision is made to close schools, phone calls are made to the local radio stations, area news stations, as well to all building principals, teachers and elementary students.
- Listen to the local radio stations: KBRV FM 94.7 or KITT FM 100.1 and TV stations 3, 6, 8.
- If you are signed up for Txtwire notifications, you may receive a notification electronically. (To sign up for Txtwire, visit the schools page and follow the instructions listed under "Mobile Alert System.")
Could a "late start" be implemented?
- A "late start" could be implemented if the district experiences an unusually high number of school closure days.
- A "late start" school day will be implemented when weather conditions are permissible. School will begin at 10:00 a.m. and dismissed at the normal time.
- "Late start" will be announced via the radio stations, and teachers and student phone trees by 6:45 a.m.
What if temperatures are colder in Wayan than in Soda Springs?
- If the temperature in Wayan is -20 degrees, the board member will call the superintendent who will then contact the director of transportation.
- The transportation director will contact the bus driver who will then notify the riders. The decision to cancel the bus will be made between 5:00 a.m. and 5:30 a.m.
- The bus could run at a later time if the weather permits. Students will not be penalized if they are unable to come to school or if they arrive late. They will be allowed to make up any work missed.
How does a school closure effect activities?
- In most cases, all activities will be cancelled. However, consideration concerning after school activities will be made on a case by case basis taking into consideration the saftey of our students.